What Happened to Mrs. Cassidy?

Dear Readers,

Alright, alright!

I keep getting questions and emails asking why this classroom blog is no longer being updated. Clearly an explanation is in order.

First of all, thank you, thank you, thank you for your support of this blog. Your clicks (yes, we watched how many visitors we had to this blog) and comments made this space what it was meant to be—a place to share what was happening in our classroom and a place where my students could showcase their work and know it was being seen by others beyond our classroom. The children were also able to receive feedback from relatives, friends, former students of mine and from people they didn’t know from places they would probably never see. We read each and every comment aloud together. Thank you for your contribution to our learning.

Now, about that explanation. Last June, I retired from classroom teaching. People always told me that I would know when the time was right to do this and they were correct. I did!

This change has given me the opportunity to put more time into other things that I love. It’s a joy to be able to spend time working one on one with students learning to read. There was never as much time as I wanted for this in our busy classroom. It’s also a delight to mentor teachers and to speak to teachers at conferences as part of their professional development. I have done this for several years, but I love that I now have more time to put into the preparation that I want to do for these sessions.

I speak about ways to connect your classroom with the world (such as this blog) and how those connections can help you to teach literacy and math. I also speak about using robotics with young children and about using iPads to create and learn. You can check out all my presentations and the resources I share here.

So, if you’d like to get together for a coffee, for a chat or for a conference let me know!

This blog and the thirteen years of student blogs the children created will remain online as an example of the power of connected learning and as a way for my former students to continue to access their six-year-old learning.

Thank you again for your support and for making this blog the community that it has been. It became more than I ever dreamed it could be.

Kathy Cassidy

8 thoughts on “What Happened to Mrs. Cassidy?

1. Thank you! I began following you several years ago and learned so much. After reading your blog and how you engaged your students I became part of a pilot project using iPads in the classroom. I was very skeptical and not sure I wanted to do this. In my opinion students already used iPads and technology too much. I wanted to make sure they stayed engaged with each other! You taught me that using technology in certain ways would open doors for students and not close off their thinking. I started my own classroom blog and spent many years connecting with other classrooms around the world. I too am retiring this year and have stopped my classroom blog. I want to thank you for being such an inspiration and leader for me. Enjoy the next chapter in your life!

• What a wonderful thing to say. Thank you.
      Enjoy YOUR retirement. I can say from personal experience that you will love it.

• I will never forget that time you did an impromptu Skype with me on a moment’s notice! You have no idea how influential you were on this first-year tech integrator at the time. So many people here have seen your blog; you became a “household name” at my little district. Truly, thank you for being bold and trying all those new things and showing us all that it really WAS possible with six-year-olds to do such amazing things!

2. I remember when I first interviewed you for my research in 2007/08, when blogging was relatively new to you. I still tell the stories you shared then with my preservice and inservice teachers and use your blog and your students as an example of look what is possible! If this first grade teacher and her students can, so can you!

You have been the inspiration for so many. Thank you for continuing to share. We all still have so much to learn from you!

The best always!

• Thanks, Rena! I remember that interview well. I’m so glad to know that it’s still having an impact. The best to you as well.